There is no denying the importance of regular exercise and maintaining your fitness levels for a healthier, happier life. This becomes even more significant as we age. At Elements Retirement Living, we ensure that our residents have access to a fantastic selection of wellness activities that promote a healthy mind and body and an enhanced quality of life.
And its not just exclusively for residents. Anyone from the local community are welcome to participate.
Elements Retirement Living is very much an active community and the participation of our residents is always encouraged. From group fitness to nature walks, private gym sessions (see our facilities here) and yoga – our residents across our Carindale and Springwood retirement villages are spoiled for choice with options to improve their fitness and mobility in a safe and supportive environment.
A fan favourite here at Elements is Switch It On, a group fitness class that allows each participant to scale the movements and go at their own pace. It encompasses a variety of movements and training styles designed for our community in their third age.
Allow us to introduce you to Switch it On!
TAKE PART IN OUR FUN, EXCITING SENIORS FITNESS CLASSES
Switch it On Fitness has been a crowd-pleaser at Elements @ Springwood for the last three years and is now available each week at Elements @ Con Noi Carindale. Switch it on is a mild to moderate weekly exercise program designed to support the health and fitness of those in their third age.
The Switch it On instructors are highly experienced, qualified and supportive and bring a positive attitude to the Villages each week. They ensure each session is fun, exciting and achievable for all fitness levels.
At Switch it On, they switch it UP! The Elements community can enjoy a variety of movements and non-stop fun. Each session is approximately 30-45 minutes long and suitable for every ability, standing or seated, including warm-up and cool-down stretch components.
Switch it On classes are designed with third age participants in mind and incorporate:
- Strength and Weight Training: Strength training helps reduce the symptoms of many chronic diseases and conditions that commonly affect older adults, including arthritis, diabetes, osteoporosis, heart disease and back pain.
- Endurance Training: Endurance training strengthens and improves cardiorespiratory function. It improves muscle function and general movement by providing more power to muscles, cardiovascular systems, bones, joints, and lungs.
- Flexibility Training: Exercises that improve flexibility will give you better blood circulation and build muscle in areas that help support your body, making movement easier. Flexibility can also improve your posture, which reduces strain on your spine and core muscles and eases related pains.
- Balance & Coordination: This can directly help prevent falls. Balance and coordination exercises will improve older adults’ overall quality of life. Along with the physical benefits such as enhanced stability, balance exercises may help improve mental functioning, including memory and spatial cognition.
- Zumba Gold: Zumba Gold is a modified Zumba class for active older adults that recreates the original moves you love at a lower intensity. Although it is a less intense version of the popular activity, it still guarantees a sweat!
The best part of Switch it On fitness, aside from the invaluable health benefits participants can expect, is the friendly group environment. At Elements Retirement Living, connection is at the forefront – and by making group fitness accessible to residents, we’re able to merge two essential elements.
WHO CAN ATTEND?
Elements Retirement Living is inclusive. Group fitness classes are also open to non-residents. We encourage the participation of ‘Friends of Elements’ with all welcome. Residents are invited to bring their friends and family, and those who live in the surrounding community can also join us for our weekly classes.
It’s never too late to start exercising to improve your overall health and wellbeing. Join us at Elements @ Springwood and Elements @ Con Noi Carindale and try Switch it On!
ARE YOU READY TO SWITCH IT ON?
Join us at Elements. Your first session is FREE! Everyone is welcome. The cost per week is $8 for Elements residents and $10 for non-residents. To register for a session, click here.
Elements @ Springwood: Every Saturday | 9:30AM – 10:15AM
Elements @ Con Noi Carindale: Every Saturday | 11AM – 11:45AM